Monday, June 18, 2007

Thoughts on Drawing

Drawing has been my primary focus for the past year or so and I have found it to be very rewarding. I like the more immeadiate results you get from drawing. Unlike painting, with oil at least, I do not have to wait for layers to dry. I can begin to see the image emerge as soon as I put pencil to paper. I have many more self-portrait ideas and they seem to be coming much faster than I can actually make the work.
I am starting a series of emotions which will be a series of 30-40 small scale self portraits arranged in a grid, all individually framed. Each portrait will convey a different emotion. Both the facial expression and the style in which the portrait is drawn will convey the emotion. Example: Fierce slashing markmaking will better convey the emotion anger and soft fragile marks will better depict the feeling of serenity or peace.

Image: The Trophy, pencil on paper, 22x30", 2007

No comments: